Monday, August 15, 2011

Confessions of a First Time Blogger

I'll be honest... doing a blog is not something that comes naturally to me. I'm hesitant to do one for a few reasons.

1. I don't want our trip to Kenya to be all about me. Some of the reasons we are here in Kenya--
--To serve just as Christ came to serve (Mk 10:43-44)
--To learn medicine in a place of few resources
--To care for the poor, and practice how a Christian should respond to poverty in the world, the average Kipsigi earns 200 Kenya Shillings/day (roughly $2/day), Matt 9:35-38
--To evangelize here in Kenya
--To learn under Christian doctors, how to care compassionately for the sick and when and how to address the spiritual state of my patients
2. I don't want anyone to get the impression it is medical/Christian tourism. We will get a few weekends away and I will make sure to post pictures, but our main tasks here are outlined above.
3. Lastly, it is a lot of work

That being said, there are a few good reasons to do a blog, and thus, we are deciding to start one.

1. To encourage you to get out of your comfort zone! Follow the dream God has put in your heart and see it through. Look beyond your needs or even your family's needs. Phil 2:4
2. To promote the Great Commission, to see the Church fulfill the the task Matt 28:16-20
3. To record some thoughts in a public domain, to start dialogue about what God is showing Carly and me, and to be accountable to others in the lessons we are shown.
4. To dialogue with non-Christians about the Faith, your life and how we all need God

No comments:

Post a Comment